Monday, January 19, 2009

Mmmm...Waffles and Ice Cream!

Saturday morning I got up early and made hubby and I home-made waffles. They were delicious and the recipe I used was very simple and easy. We had a few left over, so I made a tasty dessert later that night...WAFFLES and ICE CREAM! Now, if you've never had this before, you simply must try it.


Eating this delicious treat got me thinking about my wonderful memories from when I first had this--back in 2002 when I went to NYC for the first and only time (so far). I remember we had just seen the broadway musical Phantom of the Opera and we were hungry. So we stopped in at one of those cute 24 hour diners and I ordered a belgium waffle with vanilla ice cream. Mmmm! So good!!


I loved visiting NYC--I loved the energy of the city, I even loved how crazy busy the sidewalks and streets were! I loved taking a carriage ride in Central Park and eating at Tavern on the Green. I loved all the lights on Times Square and going to the top of the Empire State building at night and looking out at the city. It was so much fun going to see the Statue of Liberty and it was awesome going to shows on Broadway. All in all it was a great trip and I would love to go back sometime soon. I was just thinking how neat it is when a food reminds you of a memory...just eating that waffle with a bit of ice cream made me think about that trip.

Photo by Steve Kelley


SIMPLE, YUMMY WAFFLE RECIPE:

Ingredients:

  • 2 C. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 2 C. milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. melted butter

Directions:

  • Separate the egg whites from the yolks and beat them until they turn into snow
  • Mix the milk, melted butter, sugar and egg yolks in another bowl, until the sugar dissolves.
  • Put all the dry ingredients in a larger bowl and pour in the wet stuff. Mix until the batter is even but with a few lumps.
  • Gently mix the eggs whites into the batter.
  • Put one cup of batter into a preheated waffle maker and bake for about 2 minutes.


Just add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some syrup and you've got yourself a wonderful treat. Enjoy!


Thanks for reading!

No comments: