Friday, January 30, 2009

A Healthy Snack that's Tasty and Simple!

Now I know that most of my recipes are straight full of butter, sugar and cream cheese...just how Paula Deen likes it, but that's not all I cook--I make healthy foods too. This recipe is one of my favorites and it's just easy as pie to make and oh so tasty!

So without further ado, meet the healthy snack:

HUMMUS!

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 can (15-16 oz) garbonzo beans, drained (*These are also known as Chick Peas)
  • 1/4 C. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, cut in half (or more! I love garlic, so I always use more)
  • 2 TBSP lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • Chopped fresh parsley--this is just a garnish, I usually make it without
  • Pita bread wedges, crackers or raw veggies

DIRECTIONS:

  1. In blender or food processor, place beans, oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt.
  2. Cover and blend on high sped, stopping blender occasionally to scrape sides if necessary, until uniform consistency.
  3. Spoon into serving dish. Garnish with parsley. Serve with pita bread wedges.

Now, one of the reasons I enjoy hummus so much is that you can flavor it with different things to make it taste completely different. In the picture above I also added to the blender 1 can (2.25 oz) of chopped black olives. Next time I make it I'm going to add some chopped roasted red peppers to it.

Another way to change this recipe up is serving it with different things. I love pita wedges, but this time I used Cracked Pepper and Olive Oil Triscuits. It was a good combination with the black olives.

It makes a great appetizer, party food or an everyday snack. Hummus literally takes maybe five minutes to make. So there you have, quick, simple, tasty and healthy! Make some this weekend...it would be great to take to your Super Bowl Party...and let me know what special ingredients you add to yours!

Thanks for Reading!


If you are in the market to buy or sell your home in the Bethlehem or Dacula area, I would be happy to assist you! My passion is helping people find their dream home and stepping them through this exciting journey. I serve the Walton, Barrow and Gwinnett county areas. Call or text me today!

No comments: